"It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it." - Edward Abbey
As required by our insurance company, all field trip/outdoor activity participants must sign a waiver of liability. Participating in a field trip or outdoor activity carries with it certain risks and this agreement is necessary for the benefit of HOBAS and participants.
A copy of the waiver can be found here. We appreciate your understanding.
Sunday, December 30, 2018 - 12:00 PM
Pelham Bay Park: Waterfowl & Seals (and maybe owls!)
At the western end of Long Island Sound, Pelham Bay Park is home in the wintertime to a variety of ducks, geese, loons, cormorants, and other waterfowl. The rocks off Twin Islands also serve as a haul-out spot for several species of seals. We will take advantage of low tide to see all these animals. Then we will journey up into the pine woods of Hunter Island to search for owls.
Directions: Take the Throgs Neck or Whitestone Bridge to the Hutchinson River Parkway North. Take Exit 5 for Orchard Beach. We will meet at the northeastern end of the Orchard Beach parking lot. Call 585-880-0915 to register.
ABOUT THE FIELD TRIPS
- Field trips organized by Huntington-Oyster Bay Audubon are free, unless otherwise specified, and open to the public. However, some special activities may be open only to Huntington-Oyster Bay Audubon members.
- Newcomers are most welcome. Binoculars and field guides are strongly advised, but leaders usually have some field guides to share.
- Directions to the site are published in our newsletter, website and Facebook page. We urge you to save the directions.
- Please arrive before the departure time listed in the trip description. Trips will leave promptly at the time given.
- Carpooling is possible, gas and tolls are shared. Contact the trip leader to see if anyone has expressed interest. The trip leader is not responsible for arranging carpools, just giving you names of others who are interested in carpooling.
- Registration is necessary. Call the trip leader by 9:00 PM on Thursday for a Saturday trip and by 9:00 PM Friday for a Sunday trip. Be sure to leave your phone number. You may participate if you didn’t register, but we will not be able to notify you of any changes or cancellations without your phone number.
- Dress for the weather realizing you’ll be outdoors for long periods of time. Bring water, proper footwear, snacks and if the trip is for a full day, bring a bag lunch. Bring money to cover your share of any carpooling expenses as well as any required entry fees at our destinations.
- Rain or temperature below 20° F cancels (sometimes!). Be sure to check our Facebook page the night before or morning of to check if inclement weather has caused us to cancel the trip.
- For the health, safety and comfort of all field trip participants, please refrain from smoking or wearing perfumes or colognes on HOBAS field trips