"It is not enough to fight for the land; it is even more important to enjoy it." - Edward Abbey
As required by our insurance company, all field trip/outdoor activity participants must sign a waiver of liability. Participating in a field trip or outdoor activity carries with it certain risks and this agreement is necessary for the benefit of HOBAS and participants.
A copy of the waiver can be found here. We appreciate your understanding.
Sunday, January 26, 2020 - 9:00 AM
Connetquot State Park and Bayard Cutting Arboretum
The Preserve is a winter waterfowl hang-out as well as many resident birds. Meet in the parking lot.
Registration: Call (631) 885-1881 to register.
Directions: From the west, get off Sunrise Highway at Oakdale-Bohemia Road, cross over Sunrise, head west and watch for the Park entrance on the right.
Sunday, February 16, 2020 - 10:00 AM
Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge
Jamaica Bay is known for its world-class shorebirding.
Directions: Meet at Visitor Center parking lot.
Sunday, February 23, 2020 - 9:00 AM
Massapequa Lakes and Southern Nassau Area
We will bird the ponds at Massapequa Preserve, then head east in search of variety of wintering ducks and land birds.
Registration: (631) 885-1881
Directions: Meet at western entrance to the park. Park on Parkside Blvd and Pittsburgh Ave.
Sunday, March 15, 2020 - 9:00 AM
Shu Swamp Nature Preserve
Join us as we search for birds in this wooded wetland. Meet in parking lot on Frost Mill Road in Mill Neck.
Directions: Take Oyster Bay Rd west out of Oyster Bay town and turn north onto Beaver Brook Rd. Follow the road north as it becomes Frost Mill Rd, and look for the parking area on the left just before the train trestle.
Sunday, March 22, 2020 - 10:00 AM
Caumsett State Park in Lloyd Harbor
Caumsett State Park is special because it has a variety of habitats that attract many different species of birds
Registration: (585) 880-0915
Directions: Take West Neck Rd north from downtown Huntington for 5 miles. The entrance to the park is on the left, 3/4 mi past the causeway to Lloyd's Neck, at which point the road is called Lloyd Harbor Rd. State Park fees may apply. Meet in the parking area
Sunday, April 26, 2020 - 9:00 AM
Gardiner County Park in West Bay Shore
Gardiner County Park is now a 231 acre nature-oriented public park on the Great South Bay. Meet in the parking lot.
Register: call (585) 880-0915
ABOUT THE FIELD TRIPS
- Field trips organized by Huntington-Oyster Bay Audubon are free, unless otherwise specified, and open to the public. However, some special activities may be open only to Huntington-Oyster Bay Audubon members.
- Newcomers are most welcome. Binoculars and field guides are strongly advised, but leaders usually have some field guides to share.
- Directions to the site are published in our newsletter, website and Facebook page. We urge you to save the directions.
- Please arrive before the departure time listed in the trip description. Trips will leave promptly at the time given.
- Carpooling is possible, gas and tolls are shared. Contact the trip leader to see if anyone has expressed interest. The trip leader is not responsible for arranging carpools, just giving you names of others who are interested in carpooling.
- Registration is necessary. Call the trip leader by 9:00 PM on Thursday for a Saturday trip and by 9:00 PM Friday for a Sunday trip. Be sure to leave your phone number. You may participate if you didn’t register, but we will not be able to notify you of any changes or cancellations without your phone number.
- Dress for the weather realizing you’ll be outdoors for long periods of time. Bring water, proper footwear, snacks and if the trip is for a full day, bring a bag lunch. Bring money to cover your share of any carpooling expenses as well as any required entry fees at our destinations.
- Rain or temperature below 20° F cancels (sometimes!). Be sure to check our Facebook page the night before or morning of to check if inclement weather has caused us to cancel the trip.
- For the health, safety and comfort of all field trip participants, please refrain from smoking or wearing perfumes or colognes on HOBAS field trips